[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E36 shifter problem

>>>Has anyone noticed any difficulty getting into 1st gear with an E36 5
speed?

It seems that if the car is completely stopped, the gear lever is gated and
it takes a pretty hefty effort to engage the gear.  If one moves the gear
selector back after hitting the "gate" then moves back towards 1st, it flows
pretty easily.  It is also "normal" and easy if you move the selector towards
2nd (not engaging it at all) then move to engage 1st.<<<

Jim,

This occurs in my E36 occasionally also.  Instead of shifting to 2nd, I just
let the clutch engage slightly in neutral and then it goes into 1st just
fine.

When I posed the same question to the list about a year ago, someone
suggested that the clutch wasn't disengaging fully and suggested that I bleed
the clutch.

I bled my clutch before my last track session, and the problem hasn't
occurred since, though I can't verify that the two things have a direct
correlation.  It did make the clutch action much smoother, however...

Herman
'92 318is 24k