[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Alarm lights (False Alarms?)

Hi All

Well, maybe "false" is not the right word. I meant "pretend" alarms.

I think it's a good idea. I did it on mine with three components. (A
temporary solution until I find time to shop for an alarm.) Here's how:

Buy a flashing LED (light emitting diode), a small switch and a resistor.

Drill a hole in the AC control panel, it should be just enough to squeeze
the led in. Make sure the LED is visible (place it as high as possible).

Connect the LED, the resistor (can't remember the ohms, email if
interested) and the switch in series to a power line (cigarette lighter).

Turn the switch on when desired. Total cost: .60 + .50 + .03 (LED, SW, R).

A nicer way would be to use a relay to disconnect the power to the LED
when the engine is running.

Ofcourse, I would only recommend this "pretend" alarm as a temporary
measure or if you think your car is not worth a good alarm.

I am almost sure thieves will catch up once this idea becomes very common.

Also note that if you ask someone to do the installation for you, don't
expect them to charge you $2! Time is money, and this project might take
you over one hour to complete.

Good luck!

- --
Tareef Attar