[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Alarm Lights

I've had a whole bunch of responses about my comment on the alarm LED, so
here is the deal.  First, a bit of background incase you missed my original
ramblings on alarms.  It is a flashing LED that begins flashing when the
car is turned off and stops when the ignition is turned on.  Convinces
would-be thieves think you have an alarm.

I went digging and I found a rough schematic and a bunch of the needed
parts.  I don't have the schematic in any electronic format at present.
Making the thing is not very straight forward.  I believe putting together
step by step precise instructions is something that would take more time
than I have.

It is made from:

- - 1 digital timing chip
- - 1 transistor
- - 1 MOSFET
- - several resistors
- - 1 capacitor
- - Small PCB board
- - Bus wire
- - Std insulated wire
- - 1 LED

Tools needed:

- - Wire cutters/strippers
- - soldering iron suitable for electronics and solder
- - Drill & bit (for mounting LED in car)

Skills needed to make it:
- - Ability to solder and assemble electronic components from a very basic
schematic.

Skills needed to install it:
- - Ability to find and tap into a constant power source (such as cigarette
lighter) and one passed through the ignition switch (such as radio) and a
ground and possibly remove an interior panel or two.

I made one up Wed. night and I guess it took me about 1 - 1 1/2hrs or so.
If you can take a schematic and a list of components and go from there, I
can probably scan the schematic and send it as an enclosure w/ a list of
the components I have.

Since I've had a so many requests for this thing and most people don't seem
to be comfortable w/ doing it all themselves or finding the parts, I was
considering putting together some kits of all the needed parts w/ some
instructions and also possibly actually making a bunch up myself.  This
would not come free of course as parts cost money and it takes me a while
to make them. I was thinking maybe $15 & $30 respectively.  Anyone still
interested just e-mail me.

Jimmy Shrake
Current: '93 318is
Previous: '85 325e (150k)