[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stiff suspensions, pertronix ignitors

Item Subject: Stiff suspensions, pertronix ignitors
     Stephan Woodward asks about suspension stiffness and Pertronix
     ignitions:

     Our '69 1600ti had a similar problem with extremely bouncy or hoppy
     suspension.  Looking under the rear I noticed KYB rear shocks.
     Thinking to myself "its probably those darn over-damped,
     one-application-fits-all KYBs that are bouncing me" (probably in the
     front too right?)  Bought a set of Boge TG ($160 for all four from RD
     Enterprises, Roundel advertiser) and had them installed.  When I went
     to pick up the car, there were no less than 5 mechanics working on my
     front strut with a slide hammer trying to remove the *original*
     Bilstein strut insert that had rusted in place!  Well they got it out,
     and put in the Boges.  I like the ride and handling.  Moral of this
     long winded anecdote is:  struts can fail in a "hard" mode (at least
     Bilstein can!).  No more bouncy, hoppy feeling.  I especially like the
     Boge with the H&R lowering springs.

     The Pertronix price from Bavaria is about 2X what I paid for my unit.
     $50 -$60 should get you your set up.  Check any Hot VW magazine for a
     supplier.  You'll need to know your distributor's Bosch number when
     you talk the non-BMW suppliers.  I know of at least one tii owner on
     the list that is successfully using it.  Install per instructions, set
     the timing, and you're done.  I just installed a new distributor so I
     plan on reinstalling the Pertronix when the new points are worn out.

     Good Luck,

     Mike
     '69 1600ti (happy not hoppy ;)