[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Thi's musings on Metric Mechanic

>From: ausdal@domain.elided
>Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 0:36:39 EST
>Subject: Metric Mechanic again, or, Will Thi ever shut up?
>
>	All this talk about quality and stuff makes me say one thing:
>Korman races successfully, MM doesn't (that I know of...) and that speaks
>volumes about long-term reliability under high-stress conditions.  And
>quality of engineering.  Of course, Jim Rowe might not drive like Fangio,
>but their support of racers is undocumented.

In their catalog, Jim Rowe talks about the Autocrossing and racing he did in
the late seventies.  Supposedly, their "ultimate transmission" was a product
that originated from the need to make Autocross speed type shifts.

>	I don't know what to make of the comment "and ask [Jim
>Blanton, former MM co-head] what he thinks of Metric Mechanic trans-
>missions".  Sounds, ahem, less than congenial.
>			thi v.

Jim Blanton is largely responsible for the development of the Ultimate
transmissions.  Most of the improvements in those trannys was originated by
him.  I've talked to Blanton over the phone about various transmission
related issues in the last several months, and he seems knowledgable enough.
 Blanton is no longer with Metric Mechanic, and I'm not sure if there were
hard feelings or not after that separation.   Blanton gave me some good tips
about making a B/W gearbox really shift.  Too bad none of my trannys have
Borg Warner synchros...

BTW, neither of those two guys were very helpful with my questions on
rebuilding a Close Ratio 2002 five speed.  (Blanton made an attempt to help
me, and Jim Rowe only wanted to sell me another transmission.  In all
fairness, though, Rowe did answer a lot of engine related qustions for me,
and wasn't afraid to express an opinion or two.)

Erik
1968 2002
efrank@domain.elided

2002's are now on the World Wide Web!