[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: electric fans in 2002s

> From: Keith Gawlik <gawlik@domain.elided>
>
> On the subject of electric radiator fans, which another subscriber
> brought up, how do you fit one into a 2002?  The fan on my '75 is
> millimeters away from the radiator core, and started to eat the core a
> few years ago.  I've heard of others putting in electric fans after
> removing the stock one, but don't see how there could be enough
> room behind the radiator.  It also doesn't look like one could be put in
> front of the radiator.

Does the car have A/C?  With A/C, it's a bit difficult to install an
electric fan (or at least one that is larger than the one that is already
there), but without A/C, then it's pretty simple.  I installed
an electric fan and removed the engine driven one (which was not only
the noisy 400mm one, but also chipped) on a non-A/C equipped '73tii.  I used
the electric auxiliary fan and brackets from a non-A/C 320i.  Requires
that 4 holes be drilled, but otherwise is a very clean installation.
This, BTW, is in front of the radiator.

It works well, keeping the engine temp in check while idling.  If the
car is moving at all, then the fan isn't needed.  My only gripe is
that it's a bit on the noisy side.  The reduction in noise and increased
smoothness is a big plus.

> From: ausdal@domain.elided
>
> 	I even put on a 2002 water pump, 2002 water pump pulley (larger
> diameter = underdrive so you don't cavitate at 7200 rpm) and no fan on
> my 320i.  The 2002 part was cheaper even, by about $5 that day.  I had
> the damned pulley.  I have several.

Interesting that Metric Mechanic sells a smaller pump pulley (overdrive).....
Probably not a good idea for any sort of high revving applications.

Ben