[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Electric fans

> From: Walter G Barie <wgbst4+@domain.elided>
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 21:03:39 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Electric Radiator Fans
>
> Reading the overheating FAQ reminded me to ask this question.  On my
> 320i, I was considering removing the engine driven fan and installing an
> electric fan.
>
>  Yes I know most 320i's already have an electric helper fan, mine did toon
> until the motor went bad.  The motor squealled like a pig and at ~$160 for
> a new one I don't think I'll be replacing it with a BMW part.  Interesting
	[snip]
> p.s. I was going to use the existing fan wiring to operate the new fan.  I
> can get fan themostat switches for 91C or 99C (I am going to replace the
> old themostat anyway because the old one is 15 years old).  I was
> wondering which turn on temp would be better if the electric fan is the
> primary fan. I'm using the 80C thermostat.
>
> '79 320i DSP Solo II Car (without helper fan:)

	Interesting question here.  In a similar thread awhile back, I
said I do not run a fan on my 2002 at all.  The red plastic shrapnel-in-
training fan is gone, replaced by silence and a smart eye on the guage.
My car has a 80 degre thermostat, and runs exactly level on the guage at
full warmup.  After sitting 6 minutes idling at the McDonald's drivethru
it was about 3/4 up, but I _did_ have the heater on some.  A properly
functional electric fan is all you need.  After all, every blessed FWD
car on the road has electric-only, and they come on thermostatically or
with A/C.
	I even put on a 2002 water pump, 2002 water pump pulley (larger
diameter = underdrive so you don't cavitate at 7200 rpm) and no fan on
my 320i.  The 2002 part was cheaper even, by about $5 that day.  I had
the damned pulley.  I have several.
	The 320i engine bay looks emptier w/o the fan and shroud there.

	Hey, wanna buy a 2002 pulley?  $10 +s/h.
						thi v.