[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:

Re: Strut Tower Brace
> I would like to add a generalized question to Tony's question, re.- this
> subject. Does anyone have any experience in using a front strut tower brace on
> the E28 5-series? My '86 524 has developed some chassis flex, and I was
> wondering whether strut tower braces would help....
> - -cb
> '86 524td

I used to make strut braces at H&H Racing here in Cayce, SC, when I worked
there in 1990-1991.
They were developed by Bruce Weddendorf, a USC engineering graduate, back
in about 1986-1988. He moved to Texas to work for HP(?).
They were for 2002s and tiis only but I developed a strut brace for the
633CSi and for 320is.  It's been a while since I left, but I know they
still have the stuff.  The manager who worked there after me didn't know
how to make them, and neither did his successor (hah!) although that was
a matter of not ever reading the paperwork I did on it.
	The braces were chrome-moly tubing with adjustable heim-joint ends,
with end pieces which (of course) bolted to the tops of the front struts.
My father's 323i was greatly improved with it, my 2002 was reborn.  The
things cost about $100 three years ago.
	We supplied strut braces for several vendors, including a certain
expensive shop in Greensboro, NC, and a now-defunct shop with a pseudo-
German name which had moved to California from NC.  But I guess Ray K.
wouldn't want me to mention their names.
	The high-point of my life was seeing a strut brace I had build
(I recognized the weld job on the ends)	on a 1600 mit M5 motor.  It
belonged to an Air Force pilot who has recently deceased.  Unfortunately
his name escapes me.
	They work.
						thi v.