[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 325i gas mileage

From: "Guillermo S. Christensen" <gchriste@domain.elided>
>Having read a number of test reports on the 325(i) and (is), I have
>always been puzzled by the disrepancy between the MPG most of the car
>magazine testers manage (25-28mpg) and what I get (especially since I
>assume they have a lead foot like myself).  Since buying my 325is last
>year, I have averaged around 20 mpg according to the OBC.  My regular
>spot checks based on mileage driven/gas pumped show that I tend to get
>around 16-18 mpg for city driving, and around 22-23 mpg for highway
>driving (65-70mph avg). How does this compare with other owners of
this >model? I mentioned the MPG to the dealer, they seemed a little
surprised >but found no problems in their diagnostics check.  Thanks.

From: Jim Conforti <jec@domain.elided>

>City 18-21
>Hiway 25-29
>Overall (w/ much heavy traffic) is 23-24
>This is on Chevron Supreme in a 94 ...

The only time I average below 20 mpg for any period of time is when I
make a lot of short trips and really flog it in between all the stop lights.

My normal "city" driving has about a third of it where I run 45mph
fairly unrestricted, then it's 20-30mph stop and go.  Normally I get
about 22 mpg in this type of driving.  Freeway driving at about 70mph
gets me 29-31 mpg.  This is on (usually) Phillips 66 premium (92
octane).  Occasionally I put it 89 octane gas when the premium price is
out of hand, and it costs me about 1 mpg and a bit of power.

While I was still in Germany, I was surprised to find that high-speed
driving didn't cost me all that much in gas mileage.  One 500-mile trip
averaging just under 100 mph gave me about 26-27 mpg in this car.  Now,
if only I could test that here........

- - Mark
  93 325is

- ----
Mark D. Conner  - N9XTN                 Opinions expressed here are
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences	not necessarily those of the
Purdue Univ., W. Lafayette IN 47907	Government, DoD, Purdue, or
mconner@domain.elided		the author.