[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ** K-Jet Idle Problem **

Paul: you're about 50% of the way to solving your problem:

>*  Vacuum system leaking -- removing the dipstick while engine is running
stalls the engine, so I believe there is no leak -- OK.

bzzzt. Engine shouldn't stall when dipstick is pulled. Stumble or rough idle
is ok. But stalling is out of nominal.

Also:
>   Incorrect mixture -- I had the car in the shop for this problem, and they
said that the mixture was way too lean.  However the problem returned an hour
later

Looks like it's intermittent too. Likely a cracked vacuum hose, given the age of
the car. Check the small lines first, and then the hoses from the aux. air
valve. Also, check the fuel injector seals (likely to be worn/cracked given the
age of the car).

Regards, Amit Raja
83 533i (PS don't feel bad about the idle. My 5ers got a computer to help it
         idle and still can't get it right :-) )