[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Metric Mechanic E28 parts

exhaust (system 300) on my '88 535is, and think it was a good addition.  The
sound is a little more noticeable, but not much, and the performance increase
is noticable on the street, but also on the track.

However, I think one of the most cost-effective performance upgrades you can
make to your E28 535 is to swap the limited slip differential of the 535 with
one from a late 80's 325is.  The 535 has 3.25 gearing, and the 325 has 3.73.
This lower gearing really makes this car get up and move, probably more than
a chip.  An advantage of this swap is that you can sell your 3.25 limited
slip to a 528e owner, who will get a similar performance increase; since you
are buying one limited slip and selling yours, this swap doesn't have to cost
you much (or anything).  I got a 325is limited slip from Jim Dowd (parts
locator in the Roundel), and sold my 535is limited slip to Jim Rowe at Metric
Mechanic.

The increased gearing didn't have a noticable effect on engine rpms.  They run
a little higher now (3000 rpm @70 mph), and it is easy to take turns in 3rd
instead of 2nd gear, but it's not like a 2002 with a 4-speed!  Gas mileage
hasn't seemed to suffer, but I don't do a lot of long distance high speed

cruising, which is where you might see a difference.  Also, since this car is
geared to go about 170 mph, but can only go about 135 because of engine and

aerodynamics, you won't see any loss of top end speed with this gearing.

I also cut my springs, as recommended in the Metric Mechanic catalog.  This
turned out to be an economical alternative to new springs.  Use a spring
compressor, remove the springs, cut one coil from front and back, and reinstall.
You can easily do this in anafternoon in your driveway.  Similarly, I swapped
the differentials in the driveway, and installed the Metric Mechanic exhaust
myself (it comes in one piece, and will bolt right up).

These modifications were easy to install and made noticable improvements in
cornering and acceleration at the track, yet didn't alter the character of the
car on the street.

Good luck with your car, I (usually) love mine too,

Ian
'88 535is (maybe a hose?)
'76 M2002 (in the last stages of transformation)