[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #77

On Wed, 23 Nov 1994 owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Now, a truck is a Common Carrier .. they *could* track every car, but
> it would take TONS of phone calls, etc ..

Truckers generally report in, it's considered common courtesy to and
enable the dock to update their ETA's.

> It took everything but a satellite trace to know *approximately* where
> my car is and when it would arrive ..

Actually about four phone calls suffice, >ASSUMING< the trucking company
knows which truck your package is on.  Generally if they don't know, you
can expect to find out, about the same time, your shipment arrives.

> Think of this, HOW are they supposed to get in touch with the driver
> while he is on ther road ??

Actually, the word cellular suffices here. :)

> Depending upon HOW many other dealers (unknown by BMW or *your* dealer)
> have cars on the truck, he might have to make five other stops, and
> WAIT for the dealers reps to inspect the cars, sign papers, etc

This is the thing you can predict.  Split-shipments generally play havoc
with any kind of scheduling.

> So take it from me (who went nuts waiting for a new M3!)
>
> Relax ;)

 Ditto.  Relax.