[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2002 exhausts

Thought I'd weigh in on the 2002 performance options.  I'm installing an M3
engine in my '76 2002 (it's in, but not connected yet), and have been
calling everyone possible about exhausts for a >150 hp 2002.  I thought
I'd summarize my findings.

First, for engines with 150-200 hp, the stock exhaust is too restrictive, as is
the ANSA replacement, including the ANSA free-flow.  Plus the ANSA free-flow
is obnoxiously loud to my ears, and I don't mind a little extra noise.  The
stock turbo exhaust has been recommended by many, including Pete McHenry,
who specializes in 2002 engine swaps, but I found it too expensive, and it's
getting hard to find.  Many have recommended BORLA, but I didn't check into
them yet.  Import Engineering in California had a reasonably priced alternative
to the turbo muffler, that I eventually decided to go with.  It consists of a
Walker "turbo tube" muffler as a silencer, and a Walker Dynomax rear muffler.
These will be installed with a 2.25" single pipe; 2.5" was recommended as
losing too much torque for a questionable hp gain at stratospheric rpm.  Import
Engineering runs this setup on their autocross cars as well as street cars,
and claim that there is little flow difference between this combination and
a straight pipe, plus it's reasonably quiet.

My car's not quite running yet, so I don't yet know if this system lives up
to Import Engineering's claims.  However at this price, you could afford to
experiment.

Ian
'76 M2002 (almost)