[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:2002 muffler

> From: KKWollen@domain.elided
>
> If cost is important, as long as you keep the stock Eberspracher front
> resonater, the rear muffler is less important, with even the Midas unit
> working reasonably well.

Personally, I think the reverse is more important.  The center resonator
doesn't seem to make as much of a difference as the rear muffler.
Interesting to note that stock-wise, the tii muffler is a different
part number than the 1602/1802/2002/TI muffler.  Slightly better flow,
I believe.

A Midas system I have on a '76 wheezes and seems to be quite restrictive.
I was surprised one evening when driving home on the highway, the car
magically seemed to pick up a considerable amount of power.  It turned out
that the muffler broke at the connection between it and the resonator...

> From: efrank@domain.elided (Erik Frank)
>
> So, you're interested in performance, eh?    :)
> The general list consensus on aftermarket (bolt-up) ANSA system is:
> No real net gain, louder, and less durable than OEM.

The so-called performance ANSA system (the one with the black wrinkle
finish and dual tips) is definitely louder and less durable than OEM.
No performance gain that I could notice.

The aftermarket _replacement_ ANSA system (painted gray, looks sort
of like the original system) is probably a little quieter than OEM,
although the exhaust note is a bit different than OEM on a tii. (less
of a bass-type note, more high freqs seem to get by)  Durability seems
about the same as OEM from the two examples I've seen (neither have failed
yet after about 2 years on one, 1 year on the other).

> Borla makes a nice cylindrical stainless muffler that would fit in there.
> Good flowing muffler, too.  Downside is its pricey.  Over $200 just for the
> muffler.

JC Whitney sells them for around $100, I believe.  I'm looking into getting
one to fabricate a muffler for the Touring.

> A nice option which might be viable is a 2002 Turbo exhaust system (center
> pipe and rear muffler)  Its larger, and it flows more.  Its also "OEM
> quality" and bolts right up, though you may have to use a different rear
> transmission mount to accomodate the larger pipes.  I believe the Turbo
> system used 2 or 2.5" tubes.

Borla or Starla or some company used to make 2002 systems that were just
about as good as OEM.  But I don't think they make them any more.
Several years ago, they were dirt cheap through JC Whitney..... (I'm
from Chicago, and buying parts from them is easy -- just go to the
downtown store, plus some of the stuff they have is actually _good_...)

I've also tried a Hor Technologie system.  Extremely heavy and large
(the muffler filled the space between the gas tank and tire well
completely), no performance gain that I could notice, and had a
strange sounding "crackle" to the note.

For motors of up to around 150HP, a stock system is about the best there
is, IMHO.  The OE Eberspacher being the best, the ANSA replacement not bad.
I don't think there is any gain to be had with the 2002 Turbo system
below 150HP.  Above that, there is probably a benefit.  Be warned that
the system runs around $700 or so, though....  For track applications
with no noise limit, a short, straight pipe exiting out the side of the
car will probably provide the most power.  However, this generates
incredible amounts of noise....

Hope this is helpful,
Ben