[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: $%&^* rotor hex screw

> Spent Sunday trying to change the front brake pads and rotors on my
> 1990 325i Conv. A seemingly easy job was thwarted by the 5mm hex head
> screw that attaches the rotor to the hub. I tried WD40, it no budge.
> I torched it. Nothin doin'. Has anyone successfully removed this part
> with resorting to destructive force? Clues anyone?
> - -Tim
> tbigham@domain.elided

One thing more you may try is to re-tighten the wheel-bolts (with the
wheel off) while _gently_ tapping on the rotor-centre with a hammer.
As you know, the bolt-heads are tapered and will have the effect of
re-aligning the rotor when tightened in this way.  We have found
that using _all_ the bolts tightened in the same manner as replacing
the wheel works best.  Generous amounts of time, liquid wrench, and
this procedure have worked... so far.

M3s and any E36 that have been on the racetrack are the worst.  I
replace the thing everytime I replace the rotors.  This _seems_ to
make it easier when it has to come off.  -Dave Foster