[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 318is torque

> From: "S.J.Metcalfe" <S.J.Metcalfe@domain.elided>
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 08:43:45 GMT
> Subject: re. More Low-End Output
>
> Andres Jaime wrote:-
>
> >However, this made me think of dropping in a 16-valve 1.8 engine.  Max.
> >torque is 127 for the E30 version, 129 for the E36.
>
> I'm afraid I have to say *forget it*!!
> I've just changed from a 318i to a 318is and the low end torque is actually
> worse in the 1500-3000rpm region (above that she flies!). The reason being
> that the peak torque of 129 is developed much higher up the scale ie 4500rpm
> compared with the 8 valve which is around 3500rpm. Needless to say, I'm looking
> to find a way of improving my low end torque too.
>
> Good luck, Stuart.

This is so true: the rpm at which the peak torque is made is so high on
that motor.  Makes you understand why the M3 used a 2.3: even that car
was happier with revs than not.  On the other hand, the 8-valve 3.5 in
my dad's old Euro 635CSi had lotsa torque---ironically, it had a close-
ratio gearbox.  A more fair comparison to the 1800 four would be a 2.8
six (like the 528i motor in '79-'81) which was rather cammy too, versus
the 3.5.  And it had a wide-ratio (OD) unit.  If we coulda switched them
off...
	So you think you could work up a two-stage induction, progressive
throttle butterflies, say 45/60mm, big and little intestine intake runners.
	Too much cost...
			thi v.