[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Optima Battery followup

I purchased and installed an Optima sealed gel-cell battery this week to
replace the original Varta in my (July 87 build date) M5.  So far it seems
great.  It fit in the battery box no problem, though I still have to
fabricate a proper hold-down device.  It isn't as wide (long?) as the huge
Varta, and the terminals are reversed, so I had to get a longer negative
cable. (Looking at it from above, with the terminals along the top - the
positive is on the right - the opposite of a group 42 or 49 - although the
terminals are closer to the center of the battery on the Optima).  Also, its
sealed, so no need to vent it like the Varta, and little chance of leakage.

It is rated at 800 amps (vs 450 for the group 49 Varta) and I think it should
work in most group 42 BMW spaces. Dimensions seem to be slightly smaller than
a group 42 I had lying around in my garage.  They only make one size - choice
of top mount or top & side mount.

Cost was around $110 (unlike that company "AJ-USA" that advertised it in the
Roundel for $189!). I got it mail order from the east coast distributor, out
of Ohio  "Crown" - 800-487-2879.  I got their number from the manufacturer in
Colorado: Optima Batteries 303-744-5360.

Where I live, there is no such thing as to much battery power in the winter -
(below -30xF several times last year, - wish I had one of these then!).

So far, I'm a satisfied customer.

Michael Nover
88 M5