[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Synthetic oil in L.S. Diff/ GM additive.

I had been running Red Line synthetic 75W90 in my 1988 325is limited slip
differential for about a year. The Red Line blurb claims that it works
great in limited slip diffs, but recently I began hearing the tell-tale
moan of the lsd clutch disks. So I changed to Castrol Hypoy C 80W90
(gl5) and on the advice of the net added a bottle of GM limited slip
additive. The noise disappeared immediately! After doing this, I reread
the Red Line blurb and it does say that you can put the additive in the
synthetic--I had just assumed it was incompatible with synthetic.They do
claim that the additive is unneccesary, though. Has
anyone had this problem with synthetic? Anyone use the synthetic with
the additive? I think I'll try that combo when I change the oil before
the first track day next spring.

By the way, the GM stuff is part number 1052358--a 4oz bottle cost
$6.00--I got it at a Chevy dealer.
- --Jim

| Jim Shank                                                |
|            Real e-mail:       shank@domain.elided        |
|DECNET: BUPHYC::SHANK       BITNET: SHANK at CERNVM       |
|Physics Department          Phone: Office:617-353-6028    |
|Boston University                  Lab:   617-353-5088    |
|590 Commonwealth Ave.              Clean Room: 3-6049     |
|Boston, MA, 02215                  Fax:  617-353-6047     |
|on the World Wide Web:                                    |
|http://cbsgi1.bu.edu/shank                                |