[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fuel, carbs and speedo's

overdirve 320i and 4.11 rear gears with 205/60-13 Bridgestones RE-71's 1000
rpm = 20mph. therefore 3500rpm =70mph. My well warmed over motor redlines at
7000 rpm, will turn about 7200 in lower gears but I'm trying to keep it
together so I llimit it to 7000. In fourth 1:1 like it was before the 5 speed
transplant I've turned 7200 at the end of Seattle International Raceways
which is 115mph. I've seen about 6400-6600 rpm in 5th, I won't say where for
obvious reasons which is over 125mph, didn't have enough road or guts to stay
in throttle any longer. Following a strong M3 for a tow it has seen over
120mph, just over 6000rpm at SIR whose straight go slightly uphill the last
1/4 mile.  I do very much agree the 2002's boxy shape is like pushing a brick
through the air. Great shape for decent interior space in small outside shape
but lousy aerodynamics. That's why I feel gearing should reflect the
realistic top end needs, I may never get 7000 in 5th due to aerodynamic needs
and limited horsepower (about 160/165) so why not enjoy the acceleration rush
the shorter gear gives, hell i got 28mpg + going down to California 2 years
ago and God knows I didn't drive 55!! But  different gears for different
folks, hell I bought the car with 4.11 20 years ago.