[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:Shipping Tires/Wheels

First of all, let me thank everyone that replied (by the time I sent
this out):
    RON CHECCA       <rchecca@domain.elided>
    Jimmy Shrake     <jim@domain.elided>
    Chris Blumenthal <chris@domain.elided> \
    and a telecon with a rep @ both Tire Rack & Wheel Warehouse

Here is the combined wisdom:
1) Ship VIA UPS "Surface" [Brown] depending upon time desired to ship:
Brown usually results in 7-10 days cross country, 2-3 days if within a
state or two away.

2) Packaging:
   a) Cut open large cardboard boxes and lay them flat.
   b) Take each tire/wheel & lay it on top of the flattened cardboard
      and trace around the tire receiving a circle the same size as
      the tire.
   c) Cut out eight of these cardboard circles and put one the front
      and back of each tire/wheel leaving only the tread visible.
   d) Run shipping tape from one side across the tread and onto the
      cardboard on the other side like stagecoach wheels (or a star)
      with the next strip about 4" from the last strip.
   e) Note that there is now a nice big area for address information
      (make sure the address is on on the cardboard before you tape it
      up :) )

Both Tire Rack and Wheel Warehouse were very helpful with information.
Either ships two wheels packaged together at a time to save handling
costs.

In case someone has the same question... maybe we should put on the
FAQ?  I can't do it from my system.
Thanks Again, Brian
brian.foster@domain.elided
74 BMW 2002Tii <= Looky - as if one isn't enough, I'll add this one
                  11/19 and it will be served up as parts.
61 BMW 600/sunroof
88 Land Rover Range Rover