[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #60

% From: "David McIntyre" <mcintyre@domain.elided> Date:
% Wed, 16 Nov 1994 07:59:01 -0500 Subject: Plus 1 wheels and
% ball joints
%

% I just got a call from my local BMW dealer (JMK in
% Springfield, NJ) telling me that the strange rattling
% sound I was hearing from the front wheels when going over
% bumps was broken ball joints, caused (they say) by my new
% +1 wheels.

Excuse me, this is bull shit.

%

% I put MSW type 44 wheens (16 x 7.5) with BFG TA3 225/50ZR16
% tires on my 1992 318i at the end of August.  They look great,
% and work well too!  Before doing this I checked with a JMK
% service manager; he said it would be fine.

I have 225-45/16s on my '88 M3.
The only thing that might wear due to larger wheels
is the bearings and this is only accelerated if the offset
is wrong.

They claim that it's the wheels but it's not.
I supposed the new M3 will wear ball joints also because it uses

235-40/17 on 7.5" rims.

%

% JMK says that the +1 wheels "increase the stress on the
% ball joints" and cause them to wear prematurely.  They are
% replacing them under warranty, but are worried about
% them wearing out again.

If it was your fault they would not be replacing
the joints.

%

% The Tire Rack says that this is the most ridiculous thing
% that they have ever heard from a dealer.  They say that
% these tires and wheels are a perfect match for the car,
% that the wheels were basically designed for this
% purpose, and that they sell tons of them for the same car
% and have never heard of anything like this.

Never heard it and I agree with Tire Rack.

%

% What do you think?  Do I need to get rid of these great wheels
% and put my factory steel wheels back on?  Have a thrown
% $1000 out the window?

Keep the wheels and throw the dealer out a window.

Kent--
/* "There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors and   */
/*  no slave that has not had a king among his." ----     Helen Keller */
/*  Kent L. Shephard  ----- K. L. Shephard Consulting                  */