[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Radar Detectors, K40, Solo 4

The K-40 remote radar detector.  Although it is convenient to turn on/off
automatically, and hidden so that the police don't see the alert light (which
pisses them off), and the thieves don't steal it, the warning beeps and
lights are virtually useless because it doesn't sound much different if a cop
is pointing his radar right at you or if you are passing a McDonald's.  (I
think McDonald's may buy its meat from space aliens covered with interstellar
microwaves because they always set it off.)  The noise from a K-40 sounds
like some incessant bird that starts singing outside my window an hour before
I need to wake up.  The newest K-40 hides the receiver inside a license plate
frame you hang on the front and/or back of your car, which allows for laser
detection.  This is risky because it is easily stolen or broken.  Hated it.

I have had the Solo 4 detector since Oct. 1 (except for the time it took to
replace my first Solo 4 which had a factory defect).  The Solo 4 detects four
band types, X, K, Ka, and Laser (hence the number "4" in its name).  However
it makes me long for my old original Passport.  The "4" in its name could
just as easily come from the four bulky "AA" batteries that only last 60
hours.  If the thing does not sense radar for 30 minutes, it beeps and goes
off.  On a long trip to the mountains it's like a darn wake-up alarm every 30
minutes.  While it has much better lights and horns than the K-40, it is not
quite as easy to read and distinguish real threats as the original Passport.
 The lights are not shielded so they reflect off windshield at night, and
difficult to tell if on during the day.  The on/off switch is very sensitive
and is mounted right on the frontmost point.  For short city trips I leave it
in the glove compartment and pray at every start, stop, or turn that it does
not turn itself on and go through its wacky beep test.  The battery
compartment cover has a design flaw in that one corner sticks out, which
could scrape your windshield while pulling it down.  The best thing Solo 4
has going for it is the battery powered idea which makes the thing very
portable, and it does not interfere with your car's electrical system.  When
I was living in the city, I found that thieves know missing cigarette
lighters and suction cup marks mean $$$money in the bank.  Needs improvement.
 Cincinnati Microwave has excellent customer relations, but they should take
a look at their old Passport again.

JP, Haddonfield, NJ
'94 325i (arrestme red)