[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #59

John Coffin sez:

>From: "Coffin, John" <john_coffin@domain.elided>
>Date: Tue, 15 Nov 94 15:36:53 PST
>Subject: Rebuilding E28 (85 535) front suspension
>
>     I have a '85 535 with 130k and the classic brake shutter.  I like to
>     rebuild the front suspension (and later the rotors and pads) with
>     whatever needs to be replaced.  Basically I'm looking for a parts list
>     of what should be replaced while I'm at it.
>
>     email me (john_coffin@domain.elided) or the list.
>
>     Thanks
>     John

John, OK - for E28 brake "shudder".. (having been this route),

Figure to do it right - there are two sets of link arms that locate
the bottom of the strut - one has replaceable bushings where it
attaches to the body (the one from the center to strut) - the
other one, you replace it as a piece (balljoint, bushing, arm - about
$35 last time I put a set in).  Replacing these parts will probably
cure your shudder.. but you may also need:

Upper strut bearings (on top of the struts - mounting them to the
body).

New rotors - they are known to warp (about $45 each) and at the
same time (important) new pads (even if they look like new - the
formulas have changed in the past year or so to help prevent
warping).

You also could replace all the little rubber bits for the antisway
bar - link rubbers and mounting rubbers.. this won't cause a shudder
but is known to cause noise over bumps.

When doing these jobs - any ONE item may cure the shudder - it seems
that they ALL wear a bit, but when they reach some critical wear mass
as a whole - the shudder stops. Replacing one item often reduces the
mass to the point where the shudder goes away again (until the mass
increases by other parts continuing to wear). It's an interesting
effect - and here on the list, I've seen cures effected by any
of the above items being replace.  If you replace everything - then
I think you can have some confidence that the shudder won't return
anytime in the near future - and the car will feel MUCH better,
just like new! (Your wallet may feel much lighter - just like
when it was new!)

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided)
  '79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer
  '87 535i BOHICA      - der Bimmer