[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #59

Ahsun sez:

>From: "Ahsun H. Murad" <murad@domain.elided>
>Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 14:59:32 EST
>Subject: Head Gasket Change.
>
>- -------------------------------------------------------------------
>Hey Folks:
>
>Lots of brown froth in my coolant -- I assume that's the knell for
>a head gasket change. Looks like something fairly easy from what
>Bentley's has to say. What are other things I could do while I have
>the head off? Someone mentioned "truing" the head. What is this?

This is cutting the head surface (with a fly-cutter) so it
is flat again. Usually when head gaskets go south - it's
caused by a warped head (which can happen all by itself, or
sometimes is induced by overheating). If it appears "fairly
easy" - I think Bentley is understating the work involved.

>Also, would this be a good time to do the valve adjustment and any
>special tools needed. Basically, I am treading into unknown territory
>here by taking the head off and would appreciate any pointers on
>pitfalls. Also, how long its expected to take -- I am garageless.

Ahhh... well - yes - you will HAVE to do a valve adjustment..
since the rocker assembly has to come off to remove the head.

It's also a good time to replace the timing belt - even if
it's just been done (don't reuse a used belt!). You also should
consider replacing the water pump since you'll be in this far..
and it's cheap insurance (they seem to last 50,000 miles on
the dot!).. and you may want to remove the injectors and
replace all the seals - and you will have to replace all the
seals on any joints you have to open up to remove/replace the
head (comes to mind - intake manifold, exhaust manifold,
intake throttle body gasket, etc.. etc..), and you may
consider it a good time to replace the thermostat and ALL
the coolant hoses since you'll have to drain the cooling
system..

If this sounds like more than you want to tackle (and you
don't have the tools like a GOOD torque wrench - or you've
never done this sort of thing before) - I'd suggest finding
a friend who has done it before, and will let you tie up
his garage while you do it. Unless you have a great deal
of confidence - it's not a driveway hack mechanic job. You
could end up with a very un-runnable car that will be
expensive to put back together.  A good mechanic with all
the tools and experience doing it would probably figure at
least 8-10 hours of labor - plus the time it takes to have
the head cut.  Figure double that if you've never done this
sort of job before, or you have to go out and buy tools
halfway though.

>And thanks Don on the pointer about a leaky cold start fuel hose. I
>checked mine yesterday, because I was being "gassed" every morning
>with strong fumes. Guess what, two of the clamps were missing! I was
>sitting on a time-bomb here -- scarrrrrry. It's not like they fell off,
>there are no marks to show that they were ever on. (The hoses had been
>dealer replaced by the last owner.) Another wonderful attention to detail
>from your friendly neighborhood BMW dealer.

Hmmmm - sounds like this ISN'T a good place to take the car for
a head gasket! Is there a recommended private mechanic in the area..
(look for lots of BMW's in his lot, and a name like "Willy").

I suspect if you tell us just where you are, someone here on the
list can recommend someone to you. (What and where is UMD - Univ
of MD???)

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided)
  '79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer
  '87 535i BOHICA      - der Bimmer