[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

528i door locks

After the tragic demise of my 1978 320i I have filled the void with a 1980
528i.  An absolute gem, but for one small flaw.  For the life of me I
cannot figure out how to get the automatic door locks to lock.  I initially
assumed that the emergency override had been triggered so I attempted to
reset the system.  I say "attempted" because the actual location and shape
of the switch is less than clearly illustrated in the owners manual.  When
I figured I had groped the proper device (behind the dash via the glovebox)
I pressed the drivers door lock and - voila - all the locks went down, lift,
and all the locks go up. Great, until I tried to lock up from the outside
with my key.  Drivers door locks, all else stays put.  Im assuming that
its just a reset problem - or is it?
While fussing with the locks I of another problem, one rear passenger door
wont lock at all.  It _looks_ locked, but it isn't.  A related problem?
Or am I just hopelessly low-tech?
Needless to say, the previous owner has no idea of what Im talking about.
Any e-mail feedback would be greatly appreciated.

- - Loren - 1980 528i, 177k and manually powered locks