[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: national speed limit

> Two caveats - 1) if this is not BMW-specific enough, I apologize.  It seems
> like anyone with a BMW ought to think 55/65 is too low.  2) If this starts a
> thread, PLEASE lets not make this partisan.  OK, here goes..
>
> It occurs to me that last week's election may provide an opportunity to do
> something about the artificial speed limits we live with (FYI - its still 55
> in here in NY!).  I know I've read who some of the key congressman are

It is still 55 in Maryland as well.  No one drives that slow, despite the
heavy-handed tactics, the propaganda "DRIVE 55" signs everywhere, and the
orange "STILL!" sign attached to the top of the 55mph speed limit sign.
But, we have had a governor who is politically opposed to anything
faster than 55, thanks to the insurnace execs who lines his pockets.  The
same I suspect was the case for Cuomo, but luckily he is out of office!

> If the GOP presents itself as the party of individual liberties and less
> intrusive government, this seems like a good way to put its money where its
> mouth is and pass (presumably) wildly popular legislation.   (Today on I-87
> the average speed was 20 to 25 mph over the speed limit, so I have to assume
> it would be very popular people are voting with their feet, so to speak).

The problem is that, though almost all motorists clearly don't like 55
(otherwise they'd be driving it), most motorists are also don't want to
get involved and speak up.  During the various campaigns to get the limit
raised in MD (the legislature passed the bill overwhelmingly only to have
our governor veto it), we only had about 30 people or so in the WHOLE
STATE who wanted to get personally involved.

Until all motorists who despise ludicrously low speed limits speak up and
make noise to their reps about it, the status quo will remain the same.
The insurance companies will continue to have a stranglehold on us.

> Any thoughts on this?  Anyone active in, or know anything about the lobbying
> groups for speed limit reform?

There is a group called National Motorists Association
(NMA@domain.elided) that, under its old name of Citizens for Rational
Traffic Laws, was the push behind getting 65.  This group is still trying
to get limits raised in the 6 remaining states, and is also working on
the federal level to repeal the concept of a mandated national maximum
speed limit.

Larry Rubin               |
N3QGH                     |      (This space accidentally left blank.)
larry@domain.elided    |