[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

carbs for 2000CS?

The '66 2000CS was misfireing badly under acceleration. I replaced plugs,
wires, coil, and finally installed a beautiful Metric Mechanic
distributor, none of which helped. After much frustrated stareing at the
engine I noticed a metal plug missing from one of the dual Solex 40mm carbs.
This 1/4" round plug presses into the top of the carb next to one of the
idle adjustment screws. I improvised a plug w/ a bolt and some permagasket and
the problem is mostly gone. I say mostly gone because this carb/air leak
problem led me to discover that one solex was also sucking air where the
throttle shaft enters the throttle shaft body.  (Spraying this area with
carb cleaner when the engine is running drops the idle dramatically)

My question: Is this a fixable problem?  If not, what should I replace
the carbs with?  Used Webber 40's or 45's, Mikuni 40's or 44's, can I use
existing linkage or manifold w/ any of these?  I would like a straight
forward installation if possible and this is a daily driver so smooth low
end response is important.

Thanks,
Richard
'66 2000CS, '64 MBZ 220SEb/C