[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Service Bulletins (e28)

>From: mlr@domain.elided (Mike LaRosa)
>Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 09:19:47 +0500
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>Anything on 528's ?  I have an 88 528e with 75k that's been acting
>up lately.
stuff deleted...
>3- Lately if you hit the brakes lightly from say 50 mph the
>   steering wheel shakes from side to side for about 2 seconds
>   then stops, even though the brakes are still on.  I'm not
>   sure if this one might be related to my 3 attempts at quieting
>   the brake squeal I introduced by installing new front brake pads.

As many BMW owners know, this is a common problem.  Usually, the solution
is to replace the front brake rotors and pads.  I heard that BMW changed
the pad material in an attempt to cure the shimmy problem so I went with
factory pads and rotors and very carefully broke them in.  The problem has
now completely vanished.  Total cost was about $150 in parts and a couple
of hours of (my) labor.  I've also had the thrust arm bushings replaced in
the last year.

>Mike L.
>88 528e 75k
>89 100 86k

P.S.
Question to all e28 owners:  Should we start an informal e28 FAQ?  I've got
lots of stuff saved and could compile tips from anyone else.  The only
problem is that I don't have a direct internet connection so I'd have to
send copies to people as they request it.  What do you think? Ideas,
suggestions?

later,

Mike Daun
'85 535i, 98k mi.