[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Idle surging, '85 528e (160k miles)

For the past few weeks engine has surged at rate of approx. once
per second over narrow (per tach) RPM range.  Light foot pressure
on accelerator smooths idle to the way it should be.

Happens only when engine is warm; idle is smooth as silk for
first few minutes after engine is first started.

This is not the wild 0-1500+ RPM surging that a failed
idle-control module produces (have seen that happen twice before,
once under warranty, the other at my expense).

Can someone point me to where to look for instructions on
cleaning some valve I seem to recall seeing described on this
list some time back as the culprit?

And just which valve, among all those that I can see scattered
around the vicinty of the intake manifold is it that needs to be
cleaned?

TYIA

Larry

LSWAIN@domain.elided