[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Insurance Settlements

>     The insurance company offered me about $2K for the car.  I felt this
>     was too low considering the care and upgrades that I had done to the
>     car so I presented my argument to the adjustor.
>offered to settle with
>     them for $4200 plus the car as salvage.  They accepted the
>     renegotiated settlement price.

One comment - this is very state specific.  I did the same thing when
I totaled my 'es, but apparently state law in New York mandates how
much the ins co must pay for a total.  They *must* use the average
of two specific books (NADA and one other I can't remember), end of
story.  The most they were able to do was to reduce the price for
which they sold back my wreck to me.  If I wern't buying back the
wreck, I'd have been out of luck.

Don't you just love "consumer protection" laws?

rick