[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

dead tach 91 318is followup

About a month ago I wrote the list for help concerning the  nonregistering
tach in my 91 318is. A number of you emailed me that it was probably the SI
(service indicator) board. Sure enough a few days later the service indicator
lights stopped working. Today I got the car fixed and it was the SI board.
Thanks to all who wrote.

The only interesting twist was that the tach failed the day AFTER the 4 year
warranty expired so originaly the dealer was not going to cover the repair.
I called BMWNA customer service and they told me that in their records they
only had the MONTH of the inservice date. I'm a mathematician by trade so I
can add 2 and 2 to conclude that the dealer could have just passed this one
on as warranty work especially on a car with 27K miles. To BMWs credit they
suggested I tell the dealer to talk to their BMW regional rep about covering
the repair. The rep OKed it and I wasn't out a cent.

Bye the way at the dealer there was an 850i in for work that looked like it
hadn't been washed since new some time ago. I pointed this out to my just last
weekend zymoled car (aka Zoe) in hopes that now that she is out of warranty
she won't cause any problems.

Dave Manderscheid