[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Timing Spec for 1600ti

Item Subject: Text_1
     Greetings,

     For those of you that saw my earlier requests for info on electronic
     ignitions, I decided to try out the Pertronix Ignitor.  After
     "customizing" the mounting plate to give more clearance and room for
     adjustment, the setup went in fine.  For more details, drop me an
     e-mail and I'll try to piece it together for you.

     So, to complete the tuneup, I installed the following:

     Bosch W7DC plugs, gapped to .024"
     Bosch rotor and distributor cap

     Consulting the Haynes manual for timing specs, its only reference to a
     ti model was the 2002ti.  The initial advance was spec'd to 18-22deg
     at 1000rpm, and at 3000rpm it was 35-37deg.  (I'm pulling this from
     memory on Monday morning, so I may be off on the rpm numbers, but the
     advance is correct, and I set it according to the manual's spec).  My
     distributor is a Bosch 0 231 129 033, which I believe is original.  So
     I set the timing to the initial advance and checked it at the upper
     rpm point (those SnapOn timing/advance/tach units are great!).  Looks
     good, sounds good, runs good.  But are they the right settings for my
     distributor/plugs/carbs/engine displacement combination?  What are the
     trade-offs involved with a)changing spark plug gap? b)using this much
     advance?  My objectives are to tweak for as much performance as the
     system is designed for, but not to hurt reliability in the process.

     Previously, the car had WR8DC plugs gapped to .028, conventional
     points/condensor, and about 10deg initial advance.  I thought that the
     upper rpm performance lagged a bit.  Gas mileage was around 22-24mpg,
     mostly highway.  The heat range of the WR8DCs looked ok (no rich fouling
     apparent).

     All advice, clues, pointers are appreciated!

     Mike
     '69 1600ti