[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: electronic ignition

Hi Mike,

I have been using the Pertronix ignitor for about 8 months now without
any problems.  It works as advertised and does not require any
additional hardware other than the magnet and the pick-up; both of
which fit inside the distrbutor.

I too, was skeptical and thoughts of "too good to be true" also were
high on my list of doubts.  I did replace my distributor at the same
time because of the play I discovered in it when it was taken out of
the car.  The combination of a new distributor and the electronic
ignition helped to get my car back running better than it has run in
years.  The new distributor, however, was probably more responsible for
the improved performance(and mileage) since the old distributor had one
missing counter weight spring and another one was detached and also because
of the play in the advance mechanism.

So far, the Pertronix unit has been working well enough that I have not
noticed any problems... The best thing about it is I will never have to
set the gap on the points.  I have checked periodically to make sure
that the dwell was on and sure enough it was.

Installation was pretty simple and took about 30 minutes tops to
install the new distributor and ignition module.  It's a pretty tight
fit and did have to file off a little bit of the mounting hardware in
order to get the pickup unit to fit correctly.  Price is about right.
I paid ~50 bucks too.

Regards,
Travis

'73 2002tii