[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

On  02 Nov 94 PBOLMIDA wrote:
Subject: M3

>Heres the problem. My wife is having a baby (2nd) and I need to sell my
>2 seat car ('90 Miata) and buy a 4 seat car. We currently have a 91 318is
>(the other car). I am seriously considering a 88-91 M3. So what can I epect?
>How does this compare to the 318is? How different is the driving experince?
>What problems do these cars have (ie. what to look for in used 20-40K mle
>    maintenance headaches can I expect? Are the valves
>hydraulic? What were the options - ie. sun roof, air, trip computer?
>typical maintenance expenses? how much should I be willing to pay for a
>near perfect example? Best sources to find one (Roundel). I am interestd
>in STOCK - no chips- no slicks etc. I enjoy fast, well balanced cars - ide
>quality, noise, luxo stuff is not interesting to me. Is this the right ar?

>thanks for any input,

  Peter, I'll give you my honest opinion here. If you don't care about
ride quality and noise, then you should like this car. It's not bad, but
it's not as refined or as "civilized" as your 318is.  In comparison,
it rides a bit stiffer, is noisier esp at highway speeds where it tends
to buzz. The idle may be a bit rougher than the 318is. It has a better
torque curve than your 318is. It's a blast to drive hard - very good
weight distribution, great suspension, brakes and lots of high end
power.

  As far as maintenance goes, they are pretty reliable. A common early
life (10k miles or so) problem is the intake gaskets which don't seal
well. A replacement using gasket cement on both sides seems to cure the
problem indefinately. Around 50k miles or so, many need water pumps
which are a bit pricy. I've heard from a couple of people who have had
to replace rear main seals and timing chain tensioners, but these
problems are fairly rare. Some '88's that have a lot of track miles on
them experience front sub-frame cracking under the right side motor
mount nut. Warped brake rotors go with the territory. Parts are usually
much more expensive than most other BMW's. Valves are mechanical, and
use disk shims. They are difficult to adjust yourself unless you have
an assortment of disks of different thicknesses.

 How does it compare to a 318is? Drive one! The 318is is a fun car but
lacks a lot of the luxuries, is not as powerful, and does not look as
striking. The M3 has leather sport seats, on board computer, power
sunroof, A/C, cruise control, and premium sound system. Not to mention
190+HP and 180 ft lbs torque. (forgot the exact stock specs since mine
are no longer stock).

 Clean, straight low mileage M3's are still going for big money :)
In the 20 to 40k mileage range, expect to pay $16k to $24k, depending on
the year. The Roundel is the best place to find a good selection of
them.

  I encourage you to look at one and form your own opinion though.

Ron Checca
'90 M3 Street
'88 M3 Track
'87 325es Road