[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re.- Hella Vision Euro headlamp conversion

On Thursday, October 27, Scott Bachmeier wrote:

> Activation of the high beams blew both 7.5 Amp high-beam
> fuses (the #1 and #2 fuses)...which prompted me to consult
> the Power=Voltage X Current relationship.  With high beams
> on, 55W + 60W = 115W = (12.5V) X (current), which tells
> me I need about a 10 Amp fuse for each high beam bank.
> Installation of two 10 Amp fuses seems to allow worry-free
> high beam illumination.

Yowww.... you didn't mention anything about wiring here... generally, the
wiring that the factory uses is sized for the circuit. You may get away with
10A fuses on these circuits, but if you try 100W bulbs with 20A fuses, you are
highly likely to melt your wiring, junctions, connectors and the like. You will
need to put in a relay set-up with heavy duty wiring connected by separate fuse
to the battery. You can get a complete wiring harnesses and relay setups for
this purpose on the after market (perhaps from the supplier of your new lights.

- --
Chris Blumenthal
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Corporate Legal Services