[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Alarm for E30

Well, I have always hated car alarms, but after 2 vandal attacks and a
recent break-in (the thieves broke a $200 window to steal a $20 flashlight
and left the stereo and radar detector behind - go figure) I am giving in.
I mainly want protection from vandalism and theft of the car's contents.  I
don't really need anything to prevent the car from being stolen (crooks in
Rochester, MN, aren't that sophisticated).  One system I have been looking
at is the Whistler Excel, which has a two-stage shock sensor and perimeter
protection.  Hopefully this combination will deter thieves before they have
a chance to do any serious damage.  However, I am worried that the perimeter
sensing might go off too often.  Does anyone have experience with this or a
similar alarm setup?  Also, I'd like to hear from anyone who has added an
alarm to an E30 car; are some setups more suitable than others?  My car is a
1984 318i.

Please email responses.  I can send summaries to anyone who requests one.
Thanks in advance.
J. P. Grenert
grenert@domain.elided