[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Welcome to bmw-digest

- --

Welcome to the bmw-digest mailing list!

you can send mail to "majordomo@domain.elided" with the following command
in the body of your email message:

Here's the general information for the list you've
subscribed to, in case you don't already have it:

This digest is currently sent out three at least once per day; more
if the volume is high.
regular list.

if you wish to be added, or dropped from the digest, send to

  bmw-digest-request@domain.elided

and include a standard majordomo command such as

subscribe
unsubscribe
help

if you send a help message, you will receive a full list of majordomo
commands.

listserv style digest messages will not work; you MUST explicitly
unsubscribe to one list and then explicitly subscribe to the other.

send general mailings for all the list readers to:

  bmw@domain.elided

WWW Site:

there is a BMW WWW page at

   http://cbsgi1.bu.edu/bmw/bmw.html

Archives:

Recent digests may be obtained from majordomo@domain.elided
using the majordomo index and get commands; see the majordomo
help file for details.  Older archives are available at the
anonymous ftp site ftp.balltown.cma.com; cd misc/Autos/bmw
and get the gzipped raw text.  These files are very large and
nearly useless; fetch them at your own risk.

bmw ettiquette:

the bmw list has an open membership policy; anyone may join.
an interest in bmws is probably handy, although if someone
who wasn't interested in bmws wanted to join, i wouldn't object
(however, i would wonder why.)  the only ways to get thrown off of the
list are 1) to have an unreliable email address or 2) manage to completely
and utterly waste everybody's time on the list by filling their mailboxes
with garbage.  2) has never actually happened; i hope it never does.

editing replies:  when replying to a message and including text from
it, please edit all unnecessary material out.  there are few things
more irritating than 60 or 100 lines of quoted text, followed by
a single line of "great article" or "you're a moron".  please don't
do this.  thank you.

forwarding email:  sometimes people send email to bmw-request that
was supposed to go to the whole list.  the list administrator makes
no guarantees that this misdirected mail will ever see the light of
day; please check your message header and make sure that your
email is going to the right place before you send it.

administrative requests:  please make sure that your requests are ones
that can be acted upon immediately; requests like "please drop me from
the list every third tuesday and restore me on the second wednesday
except when the moon is full" might not be honored (although if you
are wearing the ceremonial bmw list headgear when you send such a message,
it has a chance of working, but i won't quote any odds on that.)

bounced email:  we have some very good scripts which are designed to
catch most major mailer loops; however, there are certain mailer failures
that can cause major trouble.  generally these mailers ignore all of
the explict instructions in the mail headers telling where errors should
go, and broadcast the bounced mail to the list.  the bounced mail goes back
to the address that was bogus in the first, place, the braindead mailer
broadcasts that bounce... and we have a first class mail loop.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: if you see one of these, stop posting to the list
IMMEDIATELY.  anything you send to the list will aggravate the condition.
you may presume that i will become aware of the loop the instant i log on,
as my mailbox will be full of garbage too.  there is no need to inform me;
just keep your head down and your powder dry.  these things happen somewhere
about once every two years, generally because some new site has a poorly
written mail router (although some sites have had the same braindead mailers
for several years now.)  users at sites where this behaviour occurs are
candidates for summary removal from the list, without appeal.

cheers,
  richard