[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

Greetings...

After watching the traffic here for a while and learning the new
and wonderful world of my '76 2002 I have a few questions.

My 2002 has started developing a very strange noise that sounds like
it is coming from under the valve cover.  The sound is similar to
metal on metal, but tinnie (sp?).  I pulled the valve cover looking
for anything that might be loose.  But all of the rocker arms
had no side to side play, and all of the lock nuts on the adjustment
cams were tight.  Next I was going to check valve adjustment, but
I couldn't see into the fly-wheel sight hole.  I could see the
fly-wheel, but not any marks for what should have been TDC.
I also checked to make sure that the timing chain tensioner
moved freely.  So my questions are:

1. What might be causing the funny sound?  It appears to be
   loudest at about 3500 rpm.

2. How does one turn the engine without the "special tool"
   shown in the shop manual?

3. What is the valve adjustment range?  The shop manual says
   0.20 to 0.25 mm.  When I found approx. TDC I couldn't even
   get a 0.20 mm feeler gauge in.

4. What should I look for in the fly-wheel sight hole to
   identify TDC for each cylinder? Isn't the firing order
   1-3-4-2?

5. Could someone write-up a short description of the easiest
   procedure for adjusting the valves on a '76 2002?

6. I pulled part 1 of the FAQ for 2002 off of the WWW, but where are
   parts 2 and 3 that are mentioned in part 1?

7. While all of this was going on I decided to adjust the carb since it
   was running rich, and a high idle speed.  While doing this I
   discovered that there was a fair amount of air coming out of
   the valve cover (the hose that connects to the air cleaner).
   Since I haven't ever delt with this car before, is this normal?
   My gut says it is a sign that the valves may not be closing
   completely.

8. There is a fair amount of pollution stuff, vacuum run relays, fuel
   return valve driven off of the cam, the connections for an air pump
   (but the air pump is gone).  What are all of these used for and how
   much can be removed and or disconnected?  By the way this car did pass
   Oregon's environmental testing with a quick tune up.

I have had experience working on several different types of cars, but
never a BMW.  I do have the first volume of the original shop manual
and the desire to learn more about this car, as I would eventually like
to restore it.  It does have a Weber 32/36 DGAV installed, and sat nearly
stationary for about one year.  Then I found it at the right price,
free (from my dad)!!  It still pulls fairly strong, but shows signs of
its 150K+ miles on the same engine.

I do plan on joining one of the BMW clubs, but which one provides the
best in return?

I know that there is a lot here to answer, but I do appreciate
your time.  Thanks in advance for the answers...

Brad Barmore
Brad.Barmore@domain.elided
'76 2002 w/ 150K+