[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Shimmy problems

Regarding shimmy problems, I have just been through them
myself with an '85 535i. My mechanic said that in most cases,
if the wheels are properly balanced, any remaining shimmy
tends to indicate bent wheels. Unfortunately, most modern
spin balancing machines conceal the wheel, so the operator
won't notice (even if they were looking) a bent wheel. In
my case, the rim looked fine to the naked eye, but turned out
to be slightly oval (no dents near the bead). I ended up
buying a set of used rims, and the shimmy completely went
away.

Hope this helps.

Nat  '85 535i, 103K mi.