[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Clunky shifts in '88 635 Auto

I've finally fully inherited my mother's '88 635CSi with the auto box,
bless her heart.  However, after living with it for a week now, I've
noticed something odd and I wonder if that is normal or should I have it
checked out.  I've noticed that the car, especially under part (ie. 1/4
to 1/2) throttle acceleration, the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are rather
clunky, sounds like the transmission is about to fall out of the car.
The problem is especially pronounced when the car is cold, which is
probably attributed to cold transmission fluid.  Is this normal?  Has
other 635 or 535 owners with the auto box noticed this phenomena?  I
don't really want to ask the dealer to check it only to pay $100 to find
out that it's normal.  Thanks for any information.

		* Roy Kao - e0ewqbwu@domain.elided *
		*    '88 BMW 635CSi  '93 VW Corrado VR6	   *
		*     "Why fly when you can DRIVE?...."    *