[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: brake fluid bleeding/changing

Tareef..

>Has anyone recently bled and/or changed the brake fluid on their bmw? The
>last time I did this was many years ago, so I'd appreciate it if someone
>can remind me of the correct procedure.

Since you don't have ABS.. the procedure is simple:

1.  Marry an understanding woman.
2.  Buy her roses
3.  While she's in a good mood - ask her to step into the garage for
    "just a minute".
4.  Sit her in driver's seat. Give her a kiss.
5.  Sneak back into the kitchen and steal her turkey baster (she isn't going
    to ever want it again - so it isn't a borrow!)
6.  Using baster, open brake reservior and remove as much gooky fluid as
possible
    (put it in an empty washer fluid bottle..)
7.  Open brandy new can/jar of brake fluid.
8.  Fill reservoir as high as you can.
9.  Crawl under right rear of car - locate bleed nipple on caliper. Loosen
    slightly (remove rubber cap if it's there). Use a closed end wrench. Put
    a 10" length of clear tubing on nipple, and immerse other end in a small
amount
    of brake fluid in a traditional green COKE[tm] bottle.
10. YELL to wife... "press down on the brake, and HOLD IT DOWN"
11. Open bleeder - hopefully you'll see lots of gooky brake fluid coming out.
12. Wait for wife to say "It went to the floor"..
13. Attempt to close bleeder BEFORE wife lets pedal up.
14. After bleeder is closed, yell to wife "OK - let the pedal up"
15. She will yell "I already did"
16. Curse and explain the process to her again. "Hold the pedal down until I
    say let it up.."
17. Repeat 10-16 three times.
18. Crawl out from under car - check fluid level in reservior - refill it.
19. Repeat 10-16 again, three times. By now, hopefully clear fluid is coming
    out of the bleeder (watch the hose) with no air bubbles. If NOT - repeat
    steps 10-17.
20. Once this wheel is done, move to left rear wheel and repeat. Then do
    right side front, finally left side front.
21. Test brake feel before moving car (start it and press down on pedal.
    Should feel solid).
22. Cautiously test brakes in an area where you can coast to a stop if
    they don't work.
23. Once you are sure of them - take wife to dinner with savings from
    doing it yourself. (Maybe a big-mac[tm]).
24. Buy replacement turkey baster for wife (about $1.50 at supermarket).

>What kind of brake fluid should I use?

Castrol LMA. (This is DOT4 fluid). You should change this AT least every
other year (BMW recommends yearly - which is a bit much). Plan on about
1 quart if you've never done it before. Keep off paint.

>BTW, what kind of oil should I use for the power steering? I saw a warning
>at the local store that the common type (can't remember the name) should
>not be used for Honda, VW and Audi. Does that apply to BMW as well?

Since I believe your power steering system is the same as BOHICA's (BMW
never changes anything they don't have to).. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID,
DEXRON II (or III) is what is called for. Do NOT use power steering fluid,
things may start to dissolve. It's worth using the turkey baster to un-fill
the power steering (which also supplies the power brakes) reservior and getting
all the gunk out. Refill with fresh fluid. (Buy two quarts. You can always
use the extra in your auto-tranny).

BIG HINT: Before un-filling it - press the brake pedal at least 20 times
with the engine off - you want to relieve the pressure in the accumulator.

When filling it - fill it about 1/2 way and start engine. Level will drop.
Stop engine - push brake 20 times. NOW - fill it to the indicated level.
If you don't relieve the pressure you WILL overfill it - which is NOT GOOD.
(I had a BMW dealer do it to BOHICA! Hadda use the turkey baster again!)

- ----------------------(Legal mumb jumbo applies)----------------------
DISCLAIMER: You are working with safety related items on a 5,000 lb
propelled vehicle. You may be a complete dolt. I may be also, and
everything I said above may be WRONG. If you screw up, or you care
to listen to my ramblings - you are doing so at your own risk.
- ----------------------(Legal mumbo jumbo applies)----------------------

Lots of luck, and let us know how it works out!

Don Eilenberger
  Bellcore
  331 Newman Springs Rd. RM 3X224
  Red Bank, NJ 07701