[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rust Removal

          Brian,
               Per your rust removal question. If these are pot-metal (also
          called "white metal") parts, I'd suggest a place in Hemmings that
          specializes in this sort of thing. Not all plating/polishing
          companies will touch pot metal. For steel parts, I've used a
          product from Eastwood called Oxy-Solv, comes in gallon & 5 gallon
          lots, you can soak the parts, or brush it on large areas. I've used
          it on several projects, including my 1973 3.0s. If you want to
          blast, I understand that plastic bead is the most gentle blasting
          media. A friend had good luck with his XKE bonnet getting it dipped
          at New England Metal Strip, who also advertise in Hemmings. If it
          is real heavy, outside of cutting the rust out & replacing with new
          metal, you might wish to use a 3m stripping wheel, commonly
          available in hardware stores.

          Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to
          ask. That sounds like a neat project. I have a soft spot for the
          more "unusual" cars!

          Colin Brace

          bracec@domain.elided