[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

318 fuel consumption

  Ever since I bought my 85 318i, I have been getting bad gas milage, ~21
mpg.   I understand that I should be getting around 30 mpg.  The weird
thing is that the car runs perfect.  A week ago I put in new spark plugs
and they are already showing carbon deposits.  According to the Bently
manual, the 3 coolent switch/senders seem to be working fine.  The cold
start valve & switch seem to be working fine. The fuel presure is around
40 psi.  I think I have narowed it down to the air flow meter or the
oxygen sensor or the %CO.  The resistance readings I get on the air flow
meter are not anything near the readings the Bently manual gives.  The
manual has been wrong in the past,  does anyone know if it is correct?
Is there anything else I should check?  Is there any damage that the rich
fuel mixture could have harmed; I have been getting ~21 mpg for close to
2 years.  Any input is very much appricated!

 Thanks