[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SHOCKING SYMPTOMS RESOLVED

A few weeks ago I reported handling problems with my '90 535 on rough
roads and asked for help.  Most suggested new shocks.

The main problem was shocks.  Both front shocks were shot, the right
front completely gone.  Rears were worn, but still okay.  A secondary
problem was a worn bushing on the steering "center link" which caused it
to loosen.

Got both repaired at Bill Ballon's place in Pittsburgh (Bill's also the
president of our local BMW CCA chapter.  Got Biltsein's all around
(rear, too) for a total of $778 including alignment (MUCH cheaper than
the dealer).  Also got the center link taken care of for another $85.

Results:  SUPERIOR handling has returned!  Better than before.  The ride
is a little stiffer with the gas shocks, perhaps a bit too stiff for my
taste, but then I'm comparing them to the blown shocks I had before.
Probably not much stiffer than new stocks.  The car sits about an inch
higher than it used to -- kinda nice, actually.  Looks more aggressive.
Bill sez it will settle down about half an inch in time, not much
different that with new stocks.

Thanks for all the help.