[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Used BMW's - 2002 and 320

On Sat, 22 Oct 1994, Douglas P. Regulinski wrote:

>  I recently joined the list and I am glad to see so much activity.  I
>  am interested in buying a used BMW in the $2000 and under price range.  I
>  was thinking perhaps a 2002 or a 320.  Unfortunately, I don't know much
>  about car repair, so I am worried about buying used and then being faced
>  with the high costs of repair assocciated with BMWs.

Douglas,

I have had a 2002 for a number of years now and haven't found parts to be
that expensive, compared to the cost of parts for the Honda Accord that
it replaced.  I've only had to take it to the local independent BMW shop
once, and that was to replace the front ball joints, when I didn't have
the time to dig into the repair myself.  I thought the total bill was
fair ($165 for parts and 2 hours of labor).  If you ever
want to learn how to do tune-ups and minor repairs on a 2002, you'll
probably find that with a good manual, a basic set of tools and test
equipment, and some patience, the 2002 is one of the most straightforward
cars to work on.  That was certainly my experience.  If you don't want to get
into the innards of the car, I believe the simplicity may keep labor
charges down at the shop (others with more experience with shops working
on their 2002s please fill us in here with your comments).  I'm on a
graduate student budget, and I haven't found it a burden keeping it
going, but I also do as much of the work on it as I can.

It seems that 2002s have achieved a cult car status, and an aftermarket
industry to provide stock and upgraded components for it has developed.
You will have a lot of choices available to you if you should want to
modify the car in the future.

Its simplicity really appeals to me, and not just for the reason that it
is a breeze to work on.  BTW, an automatic transmission was available.

>  Also, I am interested in the BMW CCA.  Is it worth my while to join?
>  How much is membership?  Is their magazine good?

The BMW CCA is great.  Their magazine, the _Roundel_ is a superb
publication that appeals to all BMW owners.  Plus, as a member, you
usually get a discount at dealers on parts and accessories.  You
automatically become a member of the local chapter, where you meet some
interesting fellow BMW nuts, and can participate in driving schools,
dinner get-togethers, and other amusements.  I think it's $35 a year,
now.  The HQ is in Cambridge, MA, and their toll-free number is 800-878-9292.

Keith Gawlik                 gawlik@domain.elided
Boulder, CO                       (303) 384-6260
'71 R75/5, '75 2002