[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Used BMW's - 2002 and 320

Doug,

Hi!

As an owner of a slightly modified 1968 2002, I'll say that the 2002 is a
great car to own.  Mechanically, its a bit more simple than a 320i (no
K-Jetronic fuel injection), and its a better handling car, primarily due to
its lighter weight.

An automatic version is available, designated the 2002a (introduced after
1974, I believe), but its worth your while to learn to drive a standard
transmission.  These cars are much more fun when you get to "mix the soup."

For $2000 you're going to have to shop a bit to find a car (both 320i and
2002) that's going to be "trouble free." (and rust free!)  By that, I mean
how much time it will spend in the shop.  Most 320i's in that price range
are going to have fairly high mileage.  Look for a car that has had a recent
rebuild by a reputable BMW shop.  Another issue (with manual transmission
cars) is the synchro wear.  Struts, shocks, and brakes also are wear-prone
items.

For the 2002, there is a book available in your local library published by
"Road & Track" called _Used Car Classic_ that covers 2002's and tells
specifics to each year, and what to look for when purchasing a 2002.

Have fun,
Erik Frank
1968 2002

"Rich is safe, but lean is mean" - Carroll Smith