[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tire Rotation and GS-N's

>>David Streiff writes:

 Subject> Time: 9:48 AM
 David> OFFICE MEMO Tire Rotation and GS-N's Date: 10/19/94

 David> though (but I dont have the Bently manual). Does anyone know
 David> what BMW's recommondation is? I was planning on using the
 David> full-size spare (thanks BMW!) and rotating it with the other
 David> four.

	My dealer recommends tire rotation for the E36.  I did hear
	people say that BMW did NOT recommend it for earlier models.
	I do not have the official word from BMW on the E36 though.

	My rear tires do wear out faster than the fronts so rotating
	does seem to help extend the life of the set.

 David> While we are talking about tires, how do people find the GS-N
 David> tires? Whats the expected wear on them. I like them so far but

	You really should change them around 15-17k.  I changed my
	first set at 20k after I had slipped in the rain - didn't hit
	anything thank god!  I always look forward to hard cornering
	so that may have something to do with the accelerated wearout :-)

 David> especially from Goodyear. One final question, how are they in
 David> the snow?

	I do not have much experience with too many tires so here goes
	what I know ...

	I've been through the last two winters on the 205/60 H rated
	GS-N's without traction control on the E36.  I was in Quebec
	Canada over January '93 and things were ok.  Also, I managed
	not to get stuck even in the last year's brutal winter on
	them.  You just need to be careful and make sure that are not
	worn if you plan to use them in the snow - mine were only a
	couple of months old during both winters!  One thing I should
	point out is that I do not have to climb steep inclines for
	most parts and I am not sure how they will perform if the
	roads are not cleaned in that situation!

 David> Do they have any M+S abilities or should I be looking for a
 David> set of snows?

	I've never experienced snow tires but people keep telling me
	that they make a world of difference!  I'm thinking of getting
	them myself this winter as my second set of GS-N's are on
	their home stretch :-(

							- Mustie

- --
"Never put off until run time what you can do at compile time."  --
 David Gries, in "Compiler Construction for Digital Computers", circa
 1969.

- --
Mustafizur Rahman                   Internet: rahman@domain.elided
Project Pilgrim                               rahman@domain.elided
Department of Computer Science         Phone: (413) 545-4701
A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center   Fax: (413) 545-1249
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003