[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw hist

Uh... well, actually they were around before WW-I (the war to
end all wars, first installment).

They first produced airplane engines, then motorcycles, then
finally cars.

There is a good history of the company (from a motorcycle point
of view) in the book "Restoring BMW Twins" - don't have name
of author or publisher handy at the moment.

Some of the mid-war cars (between WW-I and the second installment
WW-II) are rare and collectable.. and they did make lots of
cars after the war preceeding the 2002tii - including ones
that were powered by the motorcycle engines.

I'm sure someone here on the list can lead you to a definative
book on the history of the company - but basically you're looking
at an aircraft engine company, who just happened to make cars
and motorcycles (some motorcyclists consider it a motorcycle
company who just happens to also make cars).

>Bmw started in 1976 when they made the 2002tii. it had a 4 cyl turbo
>engine with fuel injection. One year later they made  the 320i it had
>no turbo. they also had the 530i that had a six and it was  a sedan.
>then in 1981 they made the 6 series with the 3.5  six.
>1984 introduced the 318/325 with a 4 or 6
>1987 new 7 series with a 12 or 6
>1989 new 5 series with 6 cyl
>1992 new 3 series with 4 or 6.
>1991 new  8 series to replace 6 series with 6 8 or 12 cyl.
>All bmw have the displacement in  the name.  Like 850  means 5 liter
>and 320 means 2.0 liter. 528 means 2.8 and 325 means 2.5 liter.
>They all have 4 wheel independant suspension with 4  wheel disk brakes.
>They all have the best fuel injection being made at time of production.
>I hope this helps

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided
 '79 R65 FrankenCycle     - der Beemer
 '87 535i BOHICA          - der Bimmer
 '75 Hunter 25 WindBreaker  - das Boot
DOD#1177, BMW-CCA#104316, BMW-MOA#64000
NJS-BMW-R#0001 (I'm a glutton for clubs)
  "He who dies with the most toys,
  probably leaves them to someone who
  just doesn't know how to take care of
  them".... ANON..