[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

318i-1985: clutch slave cyl. leak

I'd like to thank those who helped me with my question about possible clutch
master & slave cylinder leaks. I purchased a 1985 318i about two weeks ago. I
had to buy in a hurry due to demand. I found the slave cylinder was leaking and
brought a replacement seal kit that cost 85 crowns (about 10 dollars). One
evening after work My 12 year old daughter, a friend of hers and I drove the
car to a do-it-yourself garage. I put the car on a lift and repaired the slave
cylinder working from under the car with my daughters friend Annika holding a
flashlight. It was easily done. Two 13 mm (1/2 ") nuts held the cylinder to the
gearbox. The top nut came undone by using a socket extension (there's not much
room up there) and the bottom nut was no problem at all. Then leaving the
cylinder hanging by the flexible fluid hose it was just to take off the dust
boot and take out the piston with seal. I pryed off the old seal and put on the
new one using brake fliud as a lubricant. Then I put the piston and new seal
back into the cylinder, put on the dust boot and bolted eveything back on. Then
using a see-through bit of plastic piping about two and a half foot long I
connected the bleed-screw of the left front wheel to the bleed-screw of the
slave cyl. and with my daughter working the brake pedal, we pumped fresh brake
fluid into the plastic piping, and then into the slave cyl. Just like bleeding
brakes. The whole operation took about 35 min. It's the first time I've done
this so I'd imagine an experienced wrench would do it a lot quicker. The clutch
works perfect now and no leaks. So I'm ready for the next problem now, whatever
that will be. Once again thanks for your help
Thomas Johnson BMW 318i '85 & Harley XLH1200 «89
johnson_thomas@domain.elided