[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tire Rotation and GS-N's

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:48 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Tire Rotation and GS-N's              Date:  10/19/94
Hi,

My previous car, an AWD Talon, was great for not having to rotate the tires.
Although I did for the 1st 30k, I didnt rotate them once for the next 30k.
When I replaced them they were very worn (60k on Goodyear GT+4's!) but there
was no uneven wear. I did keep the tires in balance though, since the AWD
made it very noticible if one tire was off. The reason that manufacuters
recommend against rotating from one side to the other is that it could cause
the belts in the tire to slip. Moving the tire to the other side changes the
direction of forces (somewhat) and can cause the belts inside the tire to
move and change the balance of the tire (info from a manufacutuer, i cant
remember where exactly I read it though).  I've hear other people say that
this is not true but..... I've never heard about not moving the tires from
front to back though (but I dont have the Bently manual). Does anyone know
what BMW's recommondation is? I was planning on using the full-size spare
(thanks BMW!) and rotating it with the other four.

While we are talking about tires, how do people find the GS-N tires? Whats
the expected wear on them. I like them so far but i've only got 5k on the
car. I was impressed with the replacement cost, Tire Rack has them for only
$106, not bad especially from Goodyear. One final question, how are they in
the snow? Do they have any M+S abilities or should I be looking for a set of
snows?

thanks,
sds